1 MONTH BEFORE
- Eliminate items you no longer use/want – have a garage sale or make donations to local charitable organizations. Why pay to move it when you don’t need or want it?
- Start getting boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc… anything you will need to pack up, and make notes of what may need special attention.
- Obtain change of address cards to contact any of your regular mail senders.
- Obtain medical and dental records as well as children’s immunizations if moving out of the area
- Arrange for your children’s school records to be transferred to their new school.
- Make travel plans and reservations.
- Use up food supplies.
- Dispose of hazardous goods.
2-4 WEEKS BEFORE
- Start packing and begin with items in your home you do NOT use on a regular basis.
- Be sure to clearly label or number your boxes to make unpacking and finding items easier.
- As you pack, make notes of items of significant value (LCD/plasma TVs, stereos, computers, etc.) as you may need to declare items of value if they are lost or damaged during the move.
- Look to change some important information online.
- Go to your local post office to fill out a change of address form with your new address.
- Don’t forget to contact the following places to notify change of address: banks, cable/phone providers, insurance companies, utility companies, credit card companies, doctor/dentist/vet offices, investment companies, etc.
1 WEEK BEFORE
- Confirm your reservations with your movers or truck company if you haven’t already done so.
- If required, cancel or transfer your newspaper delivery service.
- Finish all of your packing.
- Have your car serviced if driving a long distance.
- Close charge accounts.
- Arrange shipment of pets if necessary.
- Arrange utility service disconnects (disconnect after moving day and connect prior to or on delivery day).
- Make a note of all utility meter readings (both at the old home and the new home).
- Be there when the truck is being loaded and unloaded just in case your movers have questions.
- Before the movers leave, check your belongings and make a note on their paperwork and yours if there are any damaged items.
Personal Real Estate Corporation, Associate Broker, REALTOR®, RI
Macdonald Realty Interior
Real Estate Websites by Web4Realty